Baba Ganoush is a healthy and versatile spread made of roasted eggplant. I like to serve it with pita bread as well as sliced vegetables (cucumbers, carrots and bell peppers). I also love to use it in my sandwiches instead of mayonnaise. My husband says that its great with meat…the possibilities are endless. The secret of this baba ganoush is roasted garlic. It gives it a great flavor and makes it a little bit different than a traditional recipe, that calls for crushed garlic. I personally prefer the roasted garlic method, but you can use fresh garlic if you prefer. Note: each eggplant will give a different amount of liquid, you might need to add more lemon juice and olive oil to reach the desired consistency.
- 2-3 large eggplants
- 1 head of garlic ( will only be using 4-5 cloves for the recipe but its better to roast the garlic whole)
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- Juice of 1/2 a large lemon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1tbsp salt ( add more if you prefer )
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone pad or parchment paper
- Slice the eggplant in half lengthwise and brush the cut side with olive oil
- Place eggplant cut side down on the baking sheet
- Cut the top part off of an entire head of garlic so that the tops of each clove are exposed. Peel off the outside layers of the skin, leaving a thin layer. Drizzle the top with olive oil and wrap in foil.
- Add both the garlic and the eggplant to the oven and bake for 40 minutes ( the eggplant must be very tender )
- Remove both eggplant and garlic from the oven and let cool slightly
- Scoop out the flesh of the eggplant with a spoon, making sure to leave out the skin. Place flesh into a strainer and let the liquid drain for about 10 minutes.
- Squeeze out garlic cloves from the bulb
- With a fork, break down the eggplant and roasted garlic until all the big chunks are gone ( if you like it completely smooth just keep stirring until desired texture is reached)
- Add lemon juice, olive oil and tahini and continue mixing until combined
- Add cumin, paprika, salt and cilantro and stir until combined
- Cover and let sit in the fridge until ready to serve but at least 1 hour
- Sprinkle with olive oil, paprika and cilantro and serve