I absolutely love pickled onions! They are a great way to add a burst of flavour to any meal. I usually have a jar in my fridge, ready to go at any time. I add them to salads, tacos, sandwiches, hamburgers, or on the side with a protein. The possibilities are endless. They take about 10 minutes to prepare, so its easy to have them in the fridge ready to go. Not only to they add a burst of flavour, but they also add a crunch that elevates any dish to another level.
- 1 medium red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- Place the sliced onions into 2 mason jars.
- In a saucepan, combine the vinegar, water, maple syrup and salt.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat.
- Pour the mixture over the onions into the jar.
- Let the onions cool about 30 minutes, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.