For those of you who have been following the blog, you may have noticed that I love a good moscow mule. I have fun adding interesting flavors to the standard ginger beer, lime juice, and vodka. The sweetness of the blackberries pairs perfectly with the spiciness of the ginger beer and the tartness of the lime juice. The sage adds a completely different dimension to the flavour. I like to serve this cocktail to adults at halloween. It is an elegant and delicious way to embrace the holiday. The muddled blackberries make the drink dark and perfect for that “spooky” vibe. This drink is my go to fall cocktail but you can most definitely drink this year round. The syrup can sit in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks, so you can enjoy one whenever you feel like it. Cheers!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 bunch sage leaves
Cocktail (this makes 2 servings):
- 1 package blackberries
- 1 oz Lime juice
- 2 1/2 oz Vodka
- 1 cup Ginger beer
- 1 1/2 oz Syrup
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add sage leaves and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat and cover. Allow to steep for 30 minutes. Remove sage and strain into a glass container. Store syrup in the refrigerator.
- Muddle 6-8 blackberries on the bottom of a drink shaker.
- Add vodka, ginger beer, lime juice, and sage syrup to the drink shaker and close the lid. Shake a few times to mix.
- Pour into an ice-filled copper mug.
- Garnish with sage and blackberries.