During the summer months, I try to eat a lot of salads and lighter fare. Now, during our time in quarantine, I have found that I keep making the same recipes over and over again. One of my all time favourite salads is a simple greek salad, but I make it often. I needed to come up with something a little different so that my family didn’t get bored. I wanted to make something with similar flavours but add a twist. The pickled onions give an amazing texture and flavour to the perfect combination of tomatoes, cucumbers and feta. The pickling process takes 5 minutes of cooking and about an hour of resting. It is well worth the extra step. I like to have the pickled onions in my fridge and throw them on the side of many meals. The recipe is available in a prior post.
- 1 English cucumber, cut in half length-wise and sliced into halves
- 3-4 medium tomatoes, sliced into wedges
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 cup pickled onions. See recipe here: (https://alexandrasgourmet.com/2020/06/29/best-quick-pickled-onions/)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Place the tomatoes, cucumbers, feta cheese, cilantro and pickled onions in a bowl.
- Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk until fully combined.
- Toss the dressing with the veggies and serve.